Eligibility to use Stripe Identity depends on a combination of your business location, how you plan to use Stripe Identity, and the type of business you operate. Check the following lists to determine if Stripe Identity currently supports your use case and industry in your location.
While you can verify identity documents from hundreds of countries across the globe, Stripe Identity is generally available for businesses based in the following countries:
Stripe Identity is also available in self-serve public beta for businesses based in the following countries:
Unsupported use cases
You may not use Stripe Identity for any of the following purposes:
- Reselling as an independent ID verification service or selling or renting the data you receive from Stripe Identity: Resale, provision, or further distribution of identity verification services or data to third parties. For example, your primary business is selling ID verification to other businesses.
- Processing Personal Health Information (PHI) by a HIPAA-covered entity: Verification or storage of PHI protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). This only applies for businesses that are sharing data covered by the US HIPAA.
- Eligibility for Credit, Employment, Housing, or Insurance or any “Permissible Purpose” under the US Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA): Conducting ID verification to determine if an individual is eligible for credit, housing, employment, insurance—or other purposes under the FCRA. This only applies to businesses that are using Identity for an activity that is covered by the US FCRA.
- Government or law enforcement use
- Verifying anyone considered a minor or who is under the age of 16.
- Verifying anyone who is linked directly or indirectly with jurisdictions Stripe has deemed high risk, as may be updated from time to time on our Prohibited and Restricted Business page:
- Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and the Crimea, Donetsk, and Luhansk Regions, or persons Stripe has deemed high risk, such as those individuals or entities named to a restricted person or party list of the U.S., United Kingdom, European Union or United Nations, including the sanctions lists maintained by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control or the Denied Persons List or Entity List maintained by the U.S. Department of Commerce
- Russian Federation
- As, or in furtherance of, any Prohibited or Restricted Business; provided, however, for the purpose of using Stripe Identity only, the following restricted business categories may use Stripe Identity without pre-approval:
- Financial products and services
- Non-fiat currency and stored value
- Pharmaceuticals, medical devices and telemedicine, as long as the data provided to Stripe Identity isn’t subject to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)